The APTA Academy of Education Adopt-A-Doc program seeks to increase the number of doctorally prepared PTs and PTAs by providing financial support to Academy members who are in the dissertation phase of their post-professional doctoral programs.
Up to 3 awards are to be given annually. The award will include a $3,000 scholarship to offset tuition or doctoral research costs and reimbursement of Academy annual dues for that year. Scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) is preferred though other doctoral study topics are welcomed. SoTL topics include but are not limited to the education of patients, clients, families, students (pre-professional and professional), post-professional (e.g., residents, fellows), or colleagues. One Adopt-A-Doc award is sponsored by Cardon Rehabilitation; research in the area of clinical reasoning is preferred, though not required, for this award. The award presentation will be made at the annual CSM.
- Member of the APTA Academy of Education.
- Post-professional doctoral candidate with an approved dissertation proposal.
Individuals who are current members of the APTA Academy of Education Awards Committee, the APTA Academy of Education Board of Directors, the APTA Board of Directors, or APTA Staff are not eligible for this award and may not participate in the nomination process.
- 2023 - Corri L. Stuyvenberg PT, DPT, MA
- 2023 - Michele “Shelly” Lewis, PT, DPT, GCS
- 2023 - Mindy Brummett, PT, DPT, OCS
- 2022 - Amanda Nicole Sharp, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2022 - Bethany Huebner, PT, DPT
- 2022 - Loren McElroy, PT, DPT
- 2021 - Heather Lundeen, PT, DPT
- 2021 - Nancy Jane Krisch, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2021 - Zachary Rethorn, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2020 - Christopher L. Hopkins, DPT
- 2020 - Eric Folkins, PT, DPT, DHSc
- 2020 - Eric Thomas Coley, PT, DPT, ATC
- 2019 - Elizabeth Wherley Regan, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2019 - Jamie Greco, PT, DPT, EdD
- 2019 - Megan Flores, PT, MPT, PhD
- 2019 - Susan Miale, PT, DPT, EdD
- 2018 - Gretchen Roman, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2017 - Kimberly Wynarczuk, PT, DPT, MPH, PhD
- 2016 - Anne Mejia-Downs, PT, MPH, PhD
- 2015 - Mary Anne Riopel, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2014 - Kyle Covington, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2014 - Sarah Gilliland, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2013 - Barbara Sargent, PT, PhD
- 2013 - Lisa Barnes-Foster, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2013 - Rose Pignataro, PT, DPT
- 2012 - Mary Knab, PhD, DPT
- 2011 - Alan Chong W. Lee, PT, PhD
- 2010 - Michael Sheldon, PT, PhD
- 2009 - Jennifer Mai, PT, DPT, PhD
- 2008 - Timothy Kirk Nelson, PT, PhD
- 2007 - Kyle Hewson, PT, EdD
- 2006 - William E. Healey, PT, EdD
- 2005 - Susan Gordon, PT
- 2004 - Anita Santasier, PT, PhD
- 2001 - Roberta Henderson, PT, PhD
- 2000 - Carol Counts Likens, PT, PhD