The Academy of Physical Therapy Education Adopt-A-Doc program seeks to increase the number of doctorally prepared PTs and PTAs by providing financial support to Academy members who are in the dissertation phase of their post-professional doctoral programs.
Up to 3 awards are to be given annually. The award will include a $3,000 scholarship to offset tuition or doctoral research costs and reimbursement of Academy annual dues for that year. Scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) is preferred though other doctoral study topics are welcomed. SoTL topics include but are not limited to the education of patients, clients, families, students (pre-professional and professional), post-professional (e.g., residents, fellows), or colleagues. One Adopt-A-Doc award is sponsored by Cardon Rehabilitation; research in the area of clinical reasoning is preferred, though not required, for this award. The award presentation will be made at the annual CSM.
- Member of the Academy of Physical Therapy Education.
- Post-professional doctoral candidate with an approved dissertation proposal.
Individuals who are current members of the Academy of Physical Therapy Education Awards Committee, the Academy of Physical Therapy Education Board of Directors, the APTA Board of Directors, or APTA Staff are not eligible for this award and may not participate in the nomination process.
Assemble the application information, in order, as noted below and create 1 PDF document.
- Signed application letter, which must include the following information (maximum of 2 pages):
a. Name, mailing address, telephone and fax number(s), e-mail address if applicable, APTA membership number and dates of Academy of Physical Therapy Education membership.
b. Name of institution in which enrolled
c. Description of doctoral program
d. Anticipated date of completion of doctoral education
e. Description of teaching experience (didactic, clinical, continuing education)
f. Career goals related to education
- One-page itemized budget request. Allowable award expenditures include tuition, equipment, supplies, printing, fees, software, statistical consultation, subject honoraria, travel related to research. Note the amount and sources of other funding received during the course of doctoral study. Personal expenses and APTA association dues are not eligible for funding.
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Verification of doctoral candidacy status
- Abstract of approved doctoral dissertation proposal (additional documentation of approval is needed if the committee signature is not included on the abstract).
- Two letters of recommendation: 1) from dissertation advisor and 2) from an individual who can attest to your characteristics, attributes, skills, and experiences that speak to your role as an educator (e.g., PT or PTA program director at a program with which you are associated as a faculty member, employer, mentor).
- Send ONE PDF file of the application packet by email to [email protected] . The application packet must be received in the Academy of Physical Therapy Education office by October 15, 5 pm Eastern Time.
- 2019 - Miale, Susan
- 2019 - Bogardus, Jennifer
- 2019 - Regan, Elizabeth
- 2019 - Greco, Jamie
- 2019 - Flores, Megan
- 2018 - Roman, Gretchen
- 2017 - Wynarczuk, Kimberly D.
- 2016 - Downs, Anne Meija
- 2015 - Riopel, Mary Ann
- 2014 - Gilliland, Sarah Jean
- 2014 - Covington, Jeffrey Kyle
- 2013 - Sargent, Barbara
- 2013 - Pignataro, Rose
- 2013 - Barnes, Lisa
- 2012 - Knab, Mary
- 2011 - Lee, Alan Chong W.
- 2010 - Sheldon, Michael R.
- 2009 - Mai, Jennifer
- 2008 - Nelson, Timothy Kirk
- 2007 - Hewson, Kyle
- 2006 - Healey, Bill
- 2005 - Gordon, Susan
- 2004 - Santasier, Anita
- 2001 - Henderson, Roberta
- 2000 - Likens, Carol Ann