To identify and honor one physical therapist or physical therapist assistant "emerging leader" from each APTA chapter or section, who has demonstrated extraordinary service early in his or her physical therapy career. The individual should have made exceptional overall accomplishments and contributions to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), the component, and the physical therapy profession to advance APTA's vision.
- The nominee must be a current member of APTA for at least 5 years and no more than 10 years from formal graduation.
- The nominee must have current or prior service on one or more appointed or elected groups at the component or national level.
Procedure for Nomination
- The chapter and section president or their respective awards committee chair is responsible for submitting the name of the nominee and supporting information to APTA's Component Services Department.
- Nominations for a member of the Academy of Physical Therapy Education should be submitted to email@example.com with all supporting documents by March 1.
- The materials submitted for the nomination shall include the following: A detailed nomination letter addressing the criteria for selection and a copy of the nominee's Curriculum Vitae.
- All nominations will be reviewed by the awards committee and nominations that meet the criteria for selection will be forwarded to the Academy president for final selection.
- The Academy president will forward their nominee and all supporting information. All materials are due to: APTA Emerging Leader Award, Component Services Department, 1111 N Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314-1488 by May 15 for recognition in the fall of the same year.
Criteria for Selection
One "emerging leader" from each chapter and section will be recognized annually, provided the component has submitted a nomination using the procedures outlined above. Criteria for selection is as follows (and should be reflected in the submission letter.
- A description of the nominee's contributions.
- Examples of demonstrated service to the Association, component, or physical therapy profession.
- Explanation of the potential for future contributions to APTA and the physical therapy profession.
- Examples of how the nominee has advanced activities at the component level.
- The nomination should include a description of the outcome of the contributions and how the contributions align with the component or APTA goals, objectives, and vision.
Notification of Award
- APTA's Component Services Department will notify those selected as emerging leaders in July. Recognized individuals will receive a congratulatory letter from APTA's President and a certificate of recognition.
- Emerging leaders will be recognized in the September issue of PT Magazine as part of a short overall descriptive article about the Emerging Leader Award that will include the name, affiliation, city, state and nominating component of each emerging leader selected.
- 2017 - Papa, Evan