The Feitelberg Journal Founder's Award was created by Samuel B.Feitelberg, PT, MA, FAPTA in honor of the efforts of the over 100 colleagues whose contributions of time and money created the Journal of Physical Therapy Education, to acknowledge excellence in publication by a first-time author in the Journal of PT Education for the calendar year.
To acknowledge excellence in publication in the Journal by a first-time author.
The publication nominated must be by a first-time author. A first time author is defined as a sole author or the first author of a multi-authored manuscript who as 3 or less peer reviewed publications.
Procedure for Nomination and Author Selection Process
- In November of each calendar year, an Editorial Board Member is appointed by the (Co-)editor-in-chief as that calendar year's awards committee chair.
- The awards committee chair will determine what papers published during the present calendar year and those that are accepted for publication AND planned to print in the December issue are eligible for consideration.
- The eligible papers list is shared by email with all Editorial Board Members.
- All Editorial Board Members are eligible to nominate any additional papers that they believe meet the consideration criteria.
- Editorial Board Members then rank order the papers available for consideration, ranking their top, 2nd and 3rd choices by electronic voting, arranged by the awards committee chair.
- The awards committee chair tallies the electronic voting and notifies the (Co-)editor-in-chief of results, copying all received votes.
- Voting results are maintained by the (Co-)editor-in-chief for a period of 12 months following the award presentation.
Notification of Award
- Award winner notified by the Academy of Education of winning by December 8, inquiring that winner is planning to attend CSM.
- Presentation of award made by (Co-)editor-in-chief at CSM at AoE Business Meeting. Award includes a $300.00 monetary stipend.
- 2023 - Allison Smith, PT, DPT, PhD, Jennifer Ellison, PT, PhD, Jennifer Bogardus, PT, PhD, Peggy Gleeson, PT, PhD - Factors Contributing to Burnout and Well-Being in Physical Therapist
- 2022 - Justin Berry, PT, DPT, PhD - A National Survey of Student Loan Debt
- 2021 - Sarah M. Hong, PT, DPT, Becky J. Olson-Kellogg, PT, DPT, Sara E. North, PT, DPT, MEd, Jackson L. Davis, PT, DPT, Justin L. Staker, PT, PhD - Telehealth Physical Therapy as an Innovative Clinical Education Model with Positive Patient Impact: A Case Report in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- 2020 - Courtney Souter, PT, DPT, CSCS, Emily Musy, PT, DPT, Aaron Hartstein, PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT, Arthur Lievre, PT, DPT, OCS, CMPT, Andrea Fergus, PT, PhD - Educational and Experiential Factors Associated With Physical Therapists' Diagnostic Reasoning
- 2019 - Dawn Roller, DPT, Michael Wininger, PhD, John Leard, EdD, PT, ATC, Barbara Crane, PhD, PT, ATP/SMS - Data-driven Decision Making in Doctor of Physical Therapy Curricula Part I: Program-level Analysis
- 2018 - Diana G. Venskus, PT, PhD, Jason A. Craig, PT, DPhil - Development and Validation of a Self-Efficacy Scale for Clinical Reasoning in Physical Therapists
- 2017 - Nicole Copti, PT, DPT, Raad Shahriari, PT, DPT, Linda Wanek, PT, PhD, Amber Fitzsimmons, PT, DPTSc, MS - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Inclusion in Physical Therapy: Advocating for Cultural Competency in Physical Therapist Education Across the United States
- 2016 - Wing Fu, PT, PhD, MA - Development of an Innovative Tool to Assess Student Physical TherapistsÕ Clinical Reasoning Competency
- 2015 - Jeff Hawk, MPT, MDE, MBA, Anne E. Reicherter, PT, DPT, PhD, OCS, CHES, Karen L. Gordes, PT, DScPT - SECTIONS Model: Strategizing Technology-Based Instruction in Physical Therapist Education
- 2014 - Ziádee Cambier, PT, DPT, MSPT - Preparing New Clinicians to Identify, Understand, and Address Inappropriate Patient Sexual Behavior in the Clinical Environment
- 2013 - Tamara S. Struessel, PT, DPT, OCS, MTC, Kristin J. Carpenter, PT, DPT, John R. May, PT, DPT, OCS, David A. Weitzenkamp, PhD, Elizabeth Sampey, PT, DPT, Paul E. Mintken, PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT - Student Perception of Applying Joint Manipulation Skills During Physical Therapist Clinical Education: Identification of Barriers
- 2012 - Terry M. Loghmani, PT, PhD, MTC, Amy J. Bayliss, PT, DPT, Valerie Strunk, PT, MS, Peter Altenburger, PT, PhD - An Integrative, Longitudinal Case-Based Learning Model as a Curriculum Strategy to Enhance Teaching and Learning
- 2011 - Elizabeth T. Oakley, PT, DHSc, Gaelan Katz, PT, Karen Sauer, PT, Bonny Dent, PT, PCS, Lynn A. Millar, PT, PhD, FACSM - Physical Therapists' Perception of Spirituality and Patient Care: Beliefs, Practices, and Perceived Barriers
- 2010 - Alice Salzman, PT, EdD - Portraits of Persistence: Professional Development of Successful Directors of Clinical Education
- 2009 - Cheryl Adams, PT, MHS, OCS, Karen Glavin, PT, MS, Kacey Hutchins, PT, MS, Tasha Lee, PT, MS, Christine Zimmermann, MS - An Evaluation of the Internal Reliability, Construct Validity, and Predictive Validity of the Physical Therapist Clinical Performance Instrument (PT CPI)
- 2008 - Kevin Brueilly, PT, PhD, Karen Alexander, PhD, Roger James, PhD, FACSM - A Pilot Study Evaluating Student Physical Therapists in the Assessment of the Sit-to-Stand Maneuver
- 2007 - Debra Ough Sellheim, PT, PhD - Influence of Physical Therapist Faculty Beliefs and Conceptions of Teaching and Learning on Instructional Methodologies
- 2006 - Suzanne Gordon, PT, MA - Making Meaning of Whiteness: A Pedagogical Approach for Multicultural Education
- 2005 - Gina Maria Musolino, PT, EdD, Pamala Feehan, PT, MS - Enhancing Diversity Through Mentorship: The Nurturing Potential of Service Learning