The Award for Leadership in Education is a high honor given by the APTA Academy of Education that recognizes a nationally prominent educator who has exhibited outstanding leadership and contributions to physical therapy education.
Award Eligibility / Criteria
- The recipient will be a Academy member who has exhibited outstanding leadership throughout his or her career as shown by contributions to physical therapy education in at least 3 of the 4 following areas: scholarship, teaching, administration, or service.
- The activities of the recipient will have reflected substantial credit on physical therapy or physical therapy education.
- The actions of the recipient will have reflected substantial credit on physical therapy, physical therapy education, and the APTA.
- The recipient will be a nationally prominent educator who will be widely recognized as a leader in physical therapy education.
Individuals who are current members of the APTA Academy of Education Awards Committee, the APTA Academy of Education Board of Directors, the APTA Board of Directors, or APTA Staff are not eligible for this award and may not participate in the nomination process.
- Send ONE PDF file of the nomination packet by email to email@example.com . The nomination packet must be received in the APTA Academy of Education office by November 1, 2020, 5 pm Eastern Time.
Nomination packets must include:
a. Written nomination letter addressing the nominee's contributions as a leader in physical therapy education. The letter should carefully document the ways in which the nominee fulfills the criteria noted above.
b. Formal resume or curriculum vitae which includes biographical information pertaining to major professional activities and accomplishments of the nominee.
c. Five support letters from Association members, at least three of which are from APTA Academy of Education members. These letters should support the nomination letter by providing a personal account of the nominee's work in at least one of the areas (teaching, scholarship, administration, or service) specified in the criteria listed above. The authors of the support letters must document proof of APTA Membership.
- If a nominee was not selected for the award, the nominator may resubmit the same nomination packet one time only in the following calendar year with the option of updating supporting documents.
Any additional materials that accompany the nomination will not be forwarded to the Awards Committee.
- 2020 - Jensen, Gail M.
- 2019 - Gleeson, Peggy
- 2018 - Salem, Yasser
- 2017 - Gersh, Meryl Roth
- 2017 - Lovelace-Chandler, Venita
- 2016 - Sanders, Babette
- 2015 - Santasier, Anita
- 2014 - Tschoepe, Barbara A.
- 2013 - Hayward, Lorna
- 2011 - Plack, Margaret M.
- 2009 - Hayes, Karen W.
- 2002 - James Gordon
- 2001 - Heriza, Carolyn
- 2000 - Umphred, Darcy A