The Stanford Award was created by Katherine Shepard, PT, PhD, FAPTA in honor of her former faculty colleagues at Stanford University, to recognize the author(s) of a manuscript containing the most influential educational ideas published in the Journal of Physical Therapy Education for the calendar year.
To recognize the author or authors of an article published in the Journal that is considered as presenting the most influential ideas for Physical Therapy Education.
Procedure for Nomination and Author Selection Process
- In November of each calendar year, an Editorial Board Member is appointed by the (Co-)editor-in-chief as that calendar year's awards committee chair.
- The awards committee chair will determine what papers published during the present calendar year and those that are accepted for publication AND planned to print in the December issue are eligible for consideration.
- The eligible papers list is shared by email with all Editorial Board Members.
- All Editorial Board Members are eligible to nominate any additional papers that they believe meet the consideration criteria.
- Editorial Board Members then rank order the papers available for consideration, ranking their top, 2nd and 3rd choices by electronic voting, arranged by the awards committee chair.
- The awards committee chair tallies the electronic voting and notifies the (Co-)editor-in-chief of results, copying all received votes.
- Voting results are maintained by the (Co-)editor-in-chief for a period of 12 months following the award presentation.
Notification of Award
- Award winner notified by the Academy Education of winning by December 8, inquiring that winner is planning to attend CSM.
- Presentation of award made by (Co-)editor-in-chief at CSM at AoE Business Meeting. Award includes a $300.00 monetary stipend.
- 2023 - Gail Jensen, PhD, PT, Diane U. Jette, PT, DSc, Jean Fitzpatrick Timmerberg, PT, DPT, PhD, Steven B. Chesbro, PT, DPT, EdD, Robin Dole, PT, DPT, EdD, Zoher Kapasi, PT, PhD, MBA, Ana Lotshaw, PT, PhD - Competency-Based Education in Physical Therapy: Developing a Framework for Education
- 2022 - Mitch Wolden, PT, DPT, PhD, Lori Gusman, PT, DPT, MS, Elsa Drevyn, PT, DPT, Cindy Flom-Meland, PT, MPT, PhD - Does the Length of Student Physical Therapists Clinical Education Experiences Matter?
- 2020 - Nnedinma Ubani, Celia M. Pechak, PT, PhD, Jill D. Black, PT, DPT, EdD - Defining Global Health Competencies for Entry-Level Physical Therapist Education
- 2019 - Becky Becker, J. DPT, PhD, Harlan Sayles, MS, Meredith Woehler, PhD, Tony Rost, SPT, Gilbert M. Willett, PT, PhD, MS - An Investigation of Professional Networks and Scholarly Productivity of Early Career Physical Therapy Faculty
- 2019 - Salome V. Brooks, PT, EdD, MA, MBA, Jesus Dominguez, PT, PhD, Zoher Kapasi, PT, MSPT, MBA, PhD, FAPTA, Victoria A. Moerchen, PT, PhD, Libby J. Ross, MA, Bernadette Williams York, PT, MSPT, DSc, Denise Wise, PT, PhD - Purposeful Recruitment Strategies to Increase Diversity in Physical Therapist Education
- 2018 - Lisa Dutton, PT, PhD, Debra Sellheim, PT, PhD - Academic and Clinical Dissonance in Physical Therapist Education: How Do Students Cope?
- 2017 - Alicia Fernandez-Fernandez, PT, DPT, PhD, Bini Litwin, PT, DPT, PhD, Karen Panzarella, PT, PhD, Nicki Silberman, PT, DPT, PhD - High Fidelity Human Simulation Improves Physical Therapist Student Self-Efficacy for Acute Care Clinical Practice
- 2016 - JB Barr, PT, DPT, OCS, Lisa Black, PT, DPT, Teresa M. Cochran, PT, DPT, MA, Jennifer A. Furze, PT, DPT, FAPTA, Judith R. Gale, PT, DPT, MPH, Julie Hoffman, PT, DPT, CCS, Gail M. Jensen, PT, PhD, FAPTA - Exploration of StudentsÕ Clinical Reasoning Development in Professional Physical Therapy Education
- 2015 - Martha Rammel Hinman, PT, DPT, EdD, MHEd, Claire Peel, PT, PhD, FAPTA, Ellen Susan Price, PT, MEd - Leadership Retention in Physical Therapy Education Programs
- 2014 - Brenda Boucher PT, PhD, CHT, OCS, FAAOMPT, Eric Robertson PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT, Barbara Sanders, PT, PhD, FAPTA, Rob Wainner PT, PhD, OCS, ECS, FAAOMPT - Flipping Texas State Universitys Physical Therapist Musculoskeletal Curriculum: Implementation of a Hybrid Learning Model
- 2013 - Kathleen Marie Buccieri, PT, DPT, MS, Jody Shapiro Frost, PT, DPT, PhD, FAPTA, Sean P. Gallivan, PT, PhD, Robert Robinson PT, DPT, DipMDT, FAAOMPT, Jennifer Weis Rodriguez, PT, DPT, Susan S. Smith, PT, PhD - Director of Clinical Education Performance Assessment Surveys: A 360-Degree Assessment of the Unique Roles and Responsibilities of This Position in Physical Therapy Education
- 2012 - Thomas Mohr, PT, PhD, FAPTA, Nancy Fell, PT, PhD, NCS, Deborah Ingram, PT, EdD, FAPTA, Renee L. Mabey, PT, PhD - The Case for Academic Integrity in Physical Therapist Education
- 2011 - Julia Chevan, PT, DPT, PhD, Steven G. Wilkinson, PT, MSPT, PhD - Establishing the Centrality of Health Informatics in Physical Therapist Education: If Not Now, When?
- 2010 - Mary C. Hughes, PT, DPT, CSCS, Katie Marie Laubscher, PT, DPT, Lisa Black, PT, DPT, Gail M. Jensen, PT, PhD, FAPTA - Use of Deconstructed Cases in Physical Therapy Ethics Education: An Assessment of Student Learning
- 2009 - Catherine Curtis, PT, EdD, Allon Goldberg, PT, PhD, Bruce Howard Greenfield, PT, BSPT, PhD, FAPTA, Steven Wolf, PT, PhD, FAPTA - Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues of Genomics: Implications for Physical Therapist Education
- 2006 - Regina Kaufman, PT, MSPT, EdD - A Reflection on Disciplinary Nature and the Status of Physical Therapy Scholarship
- 2005 - Margaret M. Plack, PT, EdD, Anita M. Santasier, PT, PhD - Reflective Practice: A Model for Facilitating Critical Thinking Skills Within an Integrative Case Study Classroom Experience
- 2004 - Debra Sellheim, PT, PhD - Educational Factors Influencing Physical Therapist Students Approaches to Learning