The Distinguished Educator in Physical Therapy Award is to be given to recognize excellence in teaching.
Award Eligibility / Criteria
- Each recipient will be a Academy member who is currently engaged in physical therapy education.
- Each recipient will have distinguished himself or herself through excellence in academic or clinical education in physical therapy at the national, regional, or local level.
- Each recipient will have distinguished himself or herself in a subject matter area as evidenced by publications or other appropriate demonstrations.
- Each recipient will have extended education by developing innovative teaching methodologies or materials.
When more than one individual has been involved in a cooperative activity or project that demonstrates excellence in teaching, a joint nomination of all individuals who meet the criteria may be made.
Individuals who are current members of the Academy of Physical Therapy Education Board of Directors, the APTA Board of Directors, or APTA Staff are not eligible for the award and may not participate in the nomination process.
- Send ONE PDF file of the nomination packet by email to [email protected]. The nomination packet must be received in the Academy of Physical Therapy Education office by October 15, 5 pm Eastern Time.
Nomination packets must include:
a. Written nomination letter addressing the characteristics that distinguish the nominee or nominees. The letter should carefully document the ways in which the nominee(s) fulfill(s) the criteria noted above.
b. A formal resume or curriculum vitae of the nominee which includes biographical information pertaining to major professional activities and accomplishments of the nominee.
c. Three support letters from Association members, at least two of which are from Academy of Physical Therapy Education members. These letters should support the nomination letter by providing a personal account of the teaching activities that distinguish the nominee(s). The authors of the support letters must document proof of APTA Membership.
- If a nominee was not selected for the award, the nominator may be resubmit the same nomination packet one time only in the next calendar year with the option of updating supporting documents.
Any additional materials that accompany the nomination will not be forwarded to the Awards Committee.
- 2019 - Curry Greenwood, Kristen
- 2019 - Recker-Hughes, Carol
- 2018 - Martinez, Katherine
- 2017 - Sabus, Carla H
- 2016 - Healey, William E.
- 2015 - Boissonnault, William
- 2014 - Wong, Christopher K.
- 2013 - Swisher, Laura Lee
- 2012 - Perry, Susan Balko
- 2011 - Sharkey, Mary Ann
- 2010 - Baker, Christine P.
- 2008 - Hedman, Lois Deming
- 2000 - Cummings, Gordon Seagrave