The Distinguished Educator in Physical Therapist Education Award is to be given to recognize excellence in teaching.
To recognize excellence in academic or clinical teaching in a physical therapy education program.
- Each recipient will be an Academy member (PT or PTA credential holder) who is currently engaged in physical therapy education.
- If one or more individuals have been involved in a cooperative activity or project that demonstrates excellence in teaching, a joint nomination of all individuals who meet the criteria may be made.
- Individuals who are current members of the APTA Academy of Education Board of Directors, the APTA Board of Directors, or APTA Staff are not eligible for the award and may not participate in the nomination process.
Criteria for Selection
- Each recipient will have distinguished themselves through excellence in physical therapy education (academic or clinical) at the national, regional, or local level.
- Each recipient will have distinguished themselves in a subject matter area as evidenced by publications or other appropriate demonstrations.
- Each recipient will have extended education by developing innovative teaching methodologies or materials.
Notification of Award
- The President of the APTA Academy of Education notifies the recipient.
- The award is presented at the APTA Academy of Education Business Meeting at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting.
- 2022 - Bruce H. Greenfield, PT, MA, PhD, FNAP, FAPTA
- 2020 - Nicole Christensen, PT, PhD
- 2019 - Carol Recker-Hughes, PT, PhD
- 2019 - Kristin Curry Greenwood, PT, DPT, EdD, MS, FNAP
- 2018 - Katherine Martinez, PT, PhD
- 2017 - Carla Sabus, PT, PhD
- 2016 - William Healey, PT, EdD
- 2015 - William Boissonnault, PT, DPT, FAPTA
- 2014 - Christopher Wong, PT, PhD
- 2013 - Laura Lee Swisher, PT, PhD, FAPTA
- 2012 - Susan Balko Perry, MS, PT, NCS
- 2011 - Mary Ann Sharkey, PT, MS, PhD
- 2010 - Christine Baker, PT, EdD, FAPTA
- 2008 - Lois Deming Hedman, PT, DScPT, MS
- 2000 - Gordon Seagrave Cummings