The PTA Education Summit seeks to engage stakeholders in a process that envisions PTA Education to meet the evolving needs of our patients and the profession.
The APTA Academy of Education PTA Education Summit is a program created to engage relevant stakeholders to identify strengths and challenges in contemporary physical therapist assistant (PTA) education, and to formulate prioritized recommendations for future work to advance PTA education to better meet the demands of contemporary physical therapy.
The Summit concept was identified as the best way to move forward after the results of the Academy's PTA Education Trends Task Force were presented in 2019. This format will allow for the engagement and participation of many different stakeholders affected by the role and education of the physical therapist assistant to include:
- PTA clinicians and PTs who work with/supervise PTAs
- APTA components
- APTA Academy of Education
- Academic Administration (Dean, provost, etc...)
- PTA program faculty
- Clinical Instructors/CCCEs/DCEs
- PT/PTA Clinical Consortia
- Health Policy Advocates
The PTA Education Summit Task Force structured the Summit to occur in three sequential phases to achieve its goals.
Phase 1: During this phase, key stakeholders (PTA and DPT educators, PT and PTA clinicians, PTA students, and administrators in institutions housing PTA education programs) will be surveyed about their perceptions of the strengths and challenges that exist in contemporary physical therapist assistant (PTA) education and practice.
Phase 2: Stakeholders, internal and external to the profession, will be asked to complete three asynchronous interactive micro-learning modules to facilitate a shared understanding of PTA history, current requirements in PTA preparation and development (e.g., CAPTE and FSBPT), current role and scope of PTA practice, relevant APTA documents, and other regulations (e.g., Medicare) affecting PTA education and practice. Participants will be engaged to identify the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats and priorities for PTA education and practice.
Phase 3: For this third and final phase of the PTA Education Summit, the Academy will post a call for volunteers, from which approximately thirty-five (35) stakeholders will be selected to participate in a facilitated synchronous virtual meeting. The group will utilize the phase 2 quantitative and qualitative data to develop and prioritize recommendations that will lead to optimally preparing PTA graduates to meet the vision.
Overview of Summit Timeline
Q & A video about the Summit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcmEE0br9oY
The ultimate goal of the Summit is to provide the foundation for a long-term strategic plan for the future of PTA education.
The charge given to the PTA Education Summit Task Force by the APTA Academy of Education is to plan a virtual summit to:
- engage relevant stakeholders to identify strengths and challenges in contemporary physical therapist assistant (PTA) education and practice, and to
- formulate prioritized recommendations for future work to advance PTA education to better meet the demands of contemporary physical therapy practice.
There are a variety of synchronous and asynchronous opportunities for you participate in the PTA Education Summit.
Phase 2 Stakeholder Engagement: In fall 2021, the asynchronous interactive micro-learning modules will be a great way for all stakeholders (this means YOU!) to participate. This webpage will be updated regularly. The APTA Academy of Education will notify members through their e-newsletter when the modules are available. Stay tuned!
Phase 3 Final Summit Meeting: In this final phase the Academy will put out a call for volunteers to participate in the process of identifying and prioritizing recommendations for future work need to achieve the vision. A series of activities and meeting are planned for February & March of 2022.
- Call for APTE volunteer opportunities will be posted on aptaeducation.org
- When the volunteer pool opens, please submit your application for consideration to serve in this final phase!
If you have any questions about these opportunities, please email email@example.com.
Please utilize any and/or all of these mechanisms to ask questions and/or provide comments about the PTA Education Summit.
Live/virtual forums for questions/comments:
- PTA Education Summit Townhall sponsored by the PTAE SIG occurred via Zoom on September 2, 2021
- Please click here to access the Zoom recording.
- After viewing the recording if you have comments or questions please click here to complete our google form. Your thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated. If you ask a question and provide your name and email, someone from the PTA Education Summit Task Force will respond within 5-7 days
ELC 2021 in Atlanta, GA
- The PTA Education Summit Task Force will be presenting an overview of the PTA Education Summit.
- Session title: The PTA Education Summit: Engage-Envision-Evolve
- Session date/time: Saturday, October 23, 2021, 1:30-3:00 PM (ET)
CSM 2022 in San Antonio, TX
- The PTA Education Summit Task Force will be holding this open forum and providing an update on the PTA Education Summit.
- Session title: The PTA Education Summit: Public Forum and Update
- Session date/time: Not available at this time
Electronic submission platform for questions/comments:
If you have questions/thoughts/concerns to share, please click on this link to complete our google form. Your thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated. If you provide your name and email, someone from the PTA Education Summit Task Force will respond within 5-7 days.
You can also email the PTA Education Summit Task Force directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.