- Already an APTA Member, but not an APTA Academy of Education member? You may join the Academy upon your next renewal or join now at a pro-rated rate. Visit APTA Membership and select "add chapters and sections/academies
- Neither an APTA Member nor an APTA Academy of Education member? APTA membership is required in order to join the Academy of Education. Submit a membership application online and be sure to also select the Academy of Education as an add-on to your APTA membership.
What is the APTA Academy of Education?
The APTA Academy of Education, one of the oldest sections of the American Physical Therapy Association, is committed to advancing physical therapists, physical therapist assistants and physical therapy students in their roles as educators in academic, clinical and community settings. The APTA Academy of Education supports excellence in physical therapy education and education research to better meeting the needs of patients, families and communities through strategic communication among our members and across professional communities, through continuing professional development and enhanced education research, and through collaborative action within our Association.
- A. Professional Development - Expand contemporary professional development opportunities (instructional tools, conferences and workshops).
- B. Educational Partners - Develop collaborative educational opportunities with other entities (i.e. APTA, ACAPT, AOTA, etc.).
- C. Tech-Driven Resources - Utilize technology (including web-based applications and social media) to engage members and deliver resources that promote effective teaching, learning, and scholarship.
- D. Journal - Position JOPTE as the journal of choice for best practices in PT and PTA education.
- A. Research Support – Expand the community of educational researchers through initiatives such as GAMER, MERC, research grants, PODS, Adopt-a-Doc and arising opportunities.
- B. Publishing – Raise the quality of published manuscripts in JoPTE to make JoPTE the preeminent source for educational research in physical therapy.
- C. Promote Opportunities - Improve visibility of opportunities for educational research grants to increase the number of competitive applications.
- D. Funding Sources - Identify sustainable sources of new research funding.
- A. Champion - Champion the interests of the Academy and its members to APTA and other organizations.
- B. Partnership - Advance APTA Academy of Education's role within the Education Leadership Partnership, strengthening collaboration and communication to facilitate achievement of APTA Academy of Education's goals.
- C. Clinicians as Educators - Build a culture where clinicians identify themselves as patient/family educators.
- D. Representation - Identify and respond to key legislative and regulatory issues affecting physical therapist and physical therapist assistant education.
- A. Membership – Increase membership in the Academy and SIGs to reflect the diversity of the profession.
- B. Community – Promote inclusive relationships among members, partners, and stakeholders.
- C. Technology & Communication – Optimize communication among members utilizing contemporary technologies.
- D. Value – Promote the value of and return on investment for membership in APTA Academy of Education.
- E. Governance – Provide responsive, transparent governance and stewardship of resources.
- F. Management – Ensure effective and efficient organizational management.
Members of the Academy formed 6 areas of focused interest. Each special interest group (SIG) has its own governance, activities and annual programming. The SIGs are each supported in part by funds from the APTA Academy of Education, and are included in Academy dues. If you are an APTA Academy of Education member and would like to join a SIG, visit the individual SIG webpages and click on the Sign Up link.
The awards are presented each year during the annual meeting of the Academy at CSM. Please visit our Awards & Scholarship page for information.
The APTA Academy of Education Research Committee promotes scholarly activities and access to research resources that facilitate evidence-based educational strategies. Activities include review of Research Grant applications as well as assisting with review of platform and poster proposals for CSM and ELC. Please visit For Our Researchers for more information.
Are You Ready to Be Connected?
The APTA Academy of Education (APTE) of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) is seeking to partner with educators outside the United States and other professionals within the US who do not qualify for APTA membership. With more than 3,000 current members, APTA Academy of Education is one of the largest specialty sections of APTA. APTA Academy of Education is committed to meeting the needs of all persons concerned with the progress, growth and development of education in physical therapy. Section members recognize that education in physical therapy is a multi-faceted process including didactic and clinical components which are implemented in a variety of learning environments. This makes the Interprofessional Partners Program of APTA Academy of Education the ideal choice for professional physical therapy educators.