Need assistance with curricular information for the PT-PTA Team?
Looking for didactic content to help meet related CAPTE Standards?
Searching for resources to assist your students in clinical education in direction and supervision of support persons?
Please consider utilizing and sharing these valuable resources:
Leading the Team-A Practical Guide to Working with PTAs
- Author(s): APTA's PTA Caucus and Janet Crosier, Director of Physical Therapist Assistant Services
- This interactive online course, primarily designed for physical therapists (PT) and PT students, provides the learner with the background needed to successfully utilize the knowledge and skills of a physical therapist assistant (PTA) in patient/client care. The course will clarify the team roles and relationships to assure the best patient/client outcomes.
- Editors: Lois Douthitt and the APTA Publications Department; Jody Frost, Director of Academic and Clinical Education Affairs
- Price: $0 Member | $88 Nonmember (price subject to change)
- CEU: 0.2 CEUs (2.0 contact hours/CCUs) will be awarded upon successful completion of a multiple choice test. You must complete the online posttest with at least 70% accuracy in order to claim CEU credit.
- Publication Date: August 2011
- Physical therapists (PTs) and physical therapist assistants have long understood the value of the PT-PTA relationship and how that relationship can be put to best use in patient and client care. Now there's a 1-stop source for explaining that value to others.
- Recently, APTA unveiled The PT-PTA Team Toolkit, a 54-page e-publication that touches on some of the most important elements of the PT-PTA relationship, from educational requirements to work with third-party payers.
- Designed to serve as a resource "to share with payers, employers, patients and clients, and any other interested party," the toolkit is part primer, part compendium, with appendices that include sample appeal letters to payers, a list of minimum required skills of the PTA, and a problem-solving algorithm for the PTA.
- The toolkit is available free to APTA members, and joins a suite of APTA resources on PTA Patient Care and Supervision.
Audio: Managing a Caseload: A New Look at PT- PTA Teams (Recorded)
- Presenter(s): Edie K. Benner, PT, PhD, OCS; Janet Crosier, PT, DPT, MEd; Patrick Morgan, PT, DPT; Juli V. Robine, PTA, BA; George Schaffer, PTA
- Price: $75 Member | $120 Nonmember
- CEU: 0.2 CEUs (2.0 contact hours/CCUs)
- Physical therapists and physical therapist assistants have been working together to provide physical therapy services to patients and clients since 1969. Although many different models of PT-PTA care delivery are used throughout the country, there is limited data available to indicate which models are most effective. This audio conference will describe a PT-PTA team approach to patient care delivery that focuses on patient-centered decision making, communication, and collaboration.
YouTube Videos that may serve as a platform for in-depth discussions: